Sunday, December 26, 2010

Happiness is a cone of Aurafil!

I don't know about you --but I love my thread almost as much as I love my fabric and my Bernina. There is something so comforting about a whole cone of Aurafil or an order of new spools. I need to stop feeding my thread habit -- I'm covered for years, I think.

Then what on earth am I doing with all these spools? Saving them, of course. Because I love my thread so much, there are times when I don't feel like I need the very best (like string blocks that are being pieced on a fabric foundation). On those occasions, I use from this cigar box (or the second cigar box of more old thread) and I love using them up. Or there are times when I'm basting for a short period of time and can use this thread -- or I'm basting my hexagons. I do not want to use my beautiful Aurafil for those projects -- and I do love using these up (or old bobbins from my mother's Kenmore or Singer).

I know I'm a bit of a thread snob -- but I'm also a frugal quilter that can't bring myself to throw away perfectly good thread -- just b/c it's a little over the hill (as am I!).

Do you hoard thread or do you purchase just in time?

Keep piecing! Jan

No comments: