Thursday, July 26, 2012

Let the Games Begin!

Yet another week of wandering and playing and not really finishing - but planning for sure!
This is another practice block and was remarkably easy and fast.  This is Ricky Tims' "Convergance" pattern and is made from four 15" blocks.   This took three hours start to finish and has only 24 seams. 

I want to make two more of these -- one in just two colors and another with a yard of the most gorgeous and colorful hand-dyed fabric I've ever seen.  It's a generous gift from Ms LogCabinQuilts when she went to hear Ricky and I wanted to make sure I knew how the fabrics would be playing together before I cut into any more fabric.  These are not-so-great fabrics that continue to multiply in the dark and may never disappear from my stash.  I had planned to work on the two color version this week but haven't had the spirit to do it. So, I'll wait. 
I did manage to get the blocks for RRCB assembled.  They went together well and it's just been too hot to take it outside for a picture. So, here's a snippet.  I've gone as far as I can until the borders are done.
And -- here's what awaits on the border.  172 of these little parallelograms must be assembled into the pieced border.  I was pretty far ahead on these and only need to put the final triangle on most of them.  That's the easy part and can be a leaders/enders project.
What's much less exciting is assembling them as you see here for the borders.  I'll plug along at it but certainly do not feel motivated to get this done.  The tote that had this quilt it in is almost empty which helps justify starting another project, don't you think?
That leads us to this little log cabin block and the pile of boxer shorts below.  These were "gifted" by a friend whose sons are 29 and 32 years old -- and these are shorts they outgrew in high school.  How lucky for me!  While boxers don't provide nearly as much fabric as a shirt, there's enough to make a quilt.  It's easy enough to toss the soiled or worn parts and only use the best fabric and not have a lot left over.  No emotional ties here.
So, I made another practice block to see if I like it and I do.  This will finish at 7" and has 1" logs.  I'm thinking 64 blocks set at 8 x 8 will make a decent size snuggle quilt and my goal will be to have it done by Christmas. We'll see -- and that's what leads us to the Olympics.

I think I'll make these log cabins my Olympic event for the next two weeks.  You see an incredible organization on Ravelry with various knitting events that start when the opening ceremonies begin.  I won't be quite so structured, but I'll work on them when I'm watching from my sewing room and we'll see where I am by August 9th when we leave on vacation.  I'm sure I'll play in other areas -- based on the last two weeks anyway -- but I hope to concentrate on cutting and sewing this pile of free fabric!

When I think about the Olympics, I consider this to be two weeks of some of the best our world has to offer!  It is my hope that they will be peaceful and embody the Olympic spirit - both in London and around the world.  If only we could hold on to it after the flame is extinguished.  

What about you, is there an Olympic event in your future?  Whatever the next two weeks bring, I hope it is peaceful and creative!  Jan

23 comments:

FabricFascination said...

That convergence quilt makes me want to try one, especially because it is so quick to finish.

Kristy QP said...

Your convergence quilt looks so great! It's such an impressive pattern! Hard to believe it's so quick to make - it looks very fiddly!

Bron @ Stop That Owl said...

Love your convergence quilt! Thanks for joining in TGIFF :)

Amanda said...

That looks great. I really can't believe that is was easy, it looks very impressive.

Pattilou said...

Those boxers are going to provide lots of variety in a quilt.

Marsha Cooper said...

It looks like you have stayed really busy. I'm trying to work in more sewing time...which has been about no time in the past couple of months.
This evening I have to try to adjust my daughters skirt to the length she wants for her "big date" tomorrow. (her and her bf have their 6 month anniversary tomorrow so they are going on a picnic.)

Sara said...

You have the right idea about keeping the spirit alive with the Olympics after it is over..we DO need to do that!

Great idea to use boxer shorts...enjoy!

Sarah Craig said...

Lots of cool projects going on there! If you don't mind my asking, how large is your finished convergence block? Just curious...

Whoop whoop!!

Sue Daurio said...

wow so many great things going on !! Love the convergence block, the colors are just perfect. And the boxers made me chuckle those will look great in a quilt.

Etcetorize said...

Wow, you have a lot of really fun projects happening! Not sure if I would be able to work with other people's undershorts but it's an awesome recycle, and the block they made looks great (I especially love checked material with the ants~). Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

Jill said...

That convergence pattern is gorgeous! As always you have so much going on!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Mary Marcotte said...

I saw Ricky Tims in January and knew that Convergence quilt immediately--guess I was paying attention! Yours is really nice and I love the colors. Do you always have so many projects going at one time? I would be so confused and overwhelmed. I also never thought of used boxers for recycling, but they are cotton, so maybe it's a good idea after all.
I enjoyed reading your blog,
Mary

Liz said...

Very beautiful quilt!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful fabrics in your Convergence quilt! I think they are always fun to make as you're just not quite sure how it will look in the end. Quilts from boxer shorts.....now that is a new one for me! Thanks for sharing.
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

Eileen said...

Love those convergence quilts. Nice job!Can't wait to see what you come up with using the boxer shorts! I cut up a pair of my son's tie-dyed boxers and have used pieces...they are so soft!

Vicki H. said...

Very pretty quilts but I can't believe that those parallelograms are the border, looks really hard and stretchy!

Mary @ Sea Quilts said...

Once upon a time it was my goal to make a convergence quilt, but alas, that never happened.

Well ... never say never.

Thanks for the peek~
Mary

Lynette said...

Your convergence block is amazing. And quite mesmerizing!

Katie B said...

The boxer quilt is cracking me up! That's going to be a fun one. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday!

Melissa Corry said...

So many great projects!!

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy said...

You are so talented!! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Confessional.
~Macy

Be Colorful Coastal said...

I so enjoy reading about your thought and design process. Thanks for sharing on BeColorful this week.
p

Connie Nelson said...

Beautiful quilts! Thanks for linking with me :)