Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Silence

We have been away for a few days and "away" has many meanings!  We were lucky enough to spend some time with our grandson in Toronto where we were "away" from all the stuff that goes on in running one's home -- cleaning, watering flowers in July heat, meetings, routine.  It was all good.

We then had the opportunity to spend a few days at our daughter's-in-law parent's lake cottage.  First with our son and grandson -- and then just the two of us.
In this setting -- we were really "away".

Away from home
Away from familiar surroundings
Away from TV
Away from internet connections
Away from radios
Away from traffic
Away from noise
Away....
And it was grand.  There is something remarkably liberating once you get used to knowing that you can't check messages or websites or news or all the other things that assault our senses without our realizing it.  It was comforting to know that phone service was available in case of an emergency -- but we weren't counting on needing that.

I deliberately did not take my little Janome -- I wanted to read a real book with pages and not on the Kindle or iPad.  I wanted to do handwork.  I wanted to enjoy the silence and loons and birds and occasional voices from across the lake (I wasn't so enamored with the occasional jet ski!).  And it worked.  I knit.  I read.  I sewed a few hexagons.  Mostly, I just sat and looked and listened.
I am glad to be home -- but,

I am particularly glad to have experienced a great weekend -- family, friends, and generosity -- all while making memories.
I hope you are able to find a time (and place) to hear the silence as well!

Jan

No comments: